The Servas Difference
Servas International started in 1949 as Peacebuilders. In 2019, we celebrated our 70th anniversary. Servas International has hosts in more than 100 countries who offer free hospitality to Servas travellers, and share their lives for a few hours or a couple of days. Click here for the Servas history.
When you open your door to a Servas traveller or you are welcomed by a Servas host, you are each showing a willingness to share and listen to stories. As members of the Servas community, we recognize that wherever we are from, we all wish for the same: love of family and friends, peaceful relations, good health, opportunity, and freedom to enjoy these gifts.
Our Peace Mandate
The aims of Servas International, as set out in its 1948 charter are: “To help build world peace, goodwill and understanding by providing deeper, more-personal contact with people of other cultures and backgrounds, at grass-roots level, to share the hosts’ life and concern on social and international problems, their interests in creative activities and mutual responsibility for their fellows.”
Servas Canada, as part of Servas International, works to achieve these same goals by:
- Recognizing, valuing, and following the United Nations 17 Sustainable Development Goals click here
- Opening our doors and sharing conversations; Servas Canada accepts hosts and travellers of any ethnicity, nationality, language, age, or sexual orientation
- Promoting the unity of humanity through an understanding of diverse beliefs, traditions, and perspectives; and recognizing that we all wish for the same: love of family and friends, peaceful relations, good health, opportunity, and freedom to enjoy these gifts
- Working with related communities in promoting and supporting the peace agenda
- Engaging in local, national, or international activities that encourage global peace initiatives
Our values are peace, respect, cultural awareness and sensitivity, trust, honesty, social justice, and open-mindedness.